Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cynicism from a bullshitter

A Kind Word for Bullshit: The Problem of Academic Writing by Philip Eubanks and John D. Schaeffer

A university student is, by need, a professional bullshitter for the years in which they pursue “higher education”. They have to navigate a system of bullshit—catering to professors who do not truly care about students’ thoughts and opinions but desire only to hear their own beliefs parroted back to them, and catering to a school system that forces them to wade through miles of course and degree requirements in order to be fully prepared for a “real job”, only to be handed a piece of paper that says—what? That they have successfully waded through the bullshit? That they’re fully licensed as a bullshitter in a professional capacity? (Do I sound cynical yet?)

Though Eubanks and Schaeffer assert that “No one, not even the “bullster,” would contend that bullshit can really substitute for well-informed and thoughtful writing,” I wonder if the authors mean that students going through the education system in the United States do not truly learn to write because they bullshit their way through classes, or that the bullshit contents of their writings do not sufficiently substitute for honest thoughts. I do believe that most people who bullshit their way through, say, an assignment, fully realize that they have learned nothing and have not advanced their writing style and expertise, but I disagree with Eubanks and Schaeffer if their meaning is that the bullshitters believe that the content of a completely bullshit writing exercise is useless or substandard. In fact, I find that most people are proud of the content and find it to be a perfect substitute for thoughtful writing. I am likely in the minority in this belief, but for all you know this whole post could be complete BS.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your cynacism, but I guess I feel obligated to put in a kind word for teachers...

    Some teachers really do care what you think. Indeed, the purpose of higher education ought to be to teach people how to think and separate the BS from "truth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I wasn't trying to paint all teachers with the same brush--I was just stating a general rule of what I have experienced and observed in the undergraduate system in both schools I have attended. And going a little overboard with it in order to illustrate a point.

    ReplyDelete